A message from the Athletics Wellington Board Chair regarding the current Cover-19 situation.
Hi Athletics Wellington Community
Upon further information gained today from other organisations in regards to Covid-19, we have made the decision that in the best interests of health & safety we cancel the rest of the Athletics Wellington events planned for the Summer season. These events are
– Day 2 of the Junior Champs on March 22nd.
– The final Track & Field meet of the season on March 28th, that included the Melrose Shield and Interclub Relay Races.
We have made our decision based on the potential risk to all participants, volunteers and spectators.
These other athletic events have also been also been cancelled which also assisted with our decision
– WHAC Children’s athletics programmes scheduled for the next two Saturdays
– Special Olympics NZ meets for the remainder of Term 1
– The Capital City Triathlon scheduled for Sunday 22 March
– The remaining 3 Waterfront 5K races hosted by Wellington Scottish
All upcoming Athletics Wellington events post the events above will be reviewed on daily basis and the status will be communicated as soon as possible. As per Athletics Wellington guidelines, all winter club events should be postponed until May 2020 as other sporting codes, like club rugby, have done. Other events such as the Athletics Wellington Awards Evening will be reviewed and communicated soon.
This is a fluid situation and we will be following guidelines by both experts and authorities.
Whilst this may be disappointing for some of you the health of our community is our priority.
Please look after each other during these uncertain times.
Chair Athletics Wellington